History of Lund Park - Maps
Below are a selection of maps of the Lund Park area which show how the area has changed over the last 150 years. To view the maps in greater detail - click on the maps. to return to this page - click the BACK button
1848: The Lund Park area has yet to be developed. The area south of Keighley comprises of open fields. Oakworth Road, as we now know it, is refered to as 'The Haworth and Blue Bell Trust Road' with just a small terrace of houses (Oxford Terrace) at Holycroft. South Street and Halifax Road are the main roads south out of Keighley but what we now refer to as Queens Road is nothing more that a bridle path to Knowle House (Which later became Timothy Taylor's Knowle Springs Brewery. The presence of 'troughs' and 'wells' on the map suggest that this was the ideal place to set up a business of that nature
1880: A mere 32 years later and the Industrial revolution is well evident. Housing now stretched as far as Malsis Road and the Park Space is identified (suggesting that as the population, become workforce, needed an recreational space on it's day off) although it is shown as open space. Victoria Road connects Halifax Road with Oakworth Road. Other changes are also evident. Fell Lane now gives home to an Infirmary (later St John's Hospital). Many mills and factories have appeared both in the centre of town as well as the road to halifax, however Queens road has still not been developed (suggesting that Ingrow and Bracken Bank areas have still to be developed
1908: Another 28 years have passed and during that period, Queens Road has appeared, and both Malsis and Victoria Roads connect it to Oakworth Road. Lund Park has been developed fully, showing paths and established park facilities. Outside the park, Broomhill is just starting to become established but there is no establised roads connecting it to the Lund Park area
1933: The First World War had come and gone and despite the post-war depression, the area has continued to expand. Selbourne Grove, Upper Hird Street and Grafton Road are now evident. The Broomhill area seems fully developed, suggesting that The Council haad undertaken substantial housing development planning strategies. Lund Park has been further developed and now houses large bowling greens amongst other facilities.
1999: The end of the Century. The area has continued to expand to become the area we know today. The Park has undergone many changes over the years. Many of the facilities that were evident 60 years previously have gone, to be replaced with modern facilities. Ponds and fountains have been replaced with play areas and Skate parks and the communities around the park have changed. Nevertheless, the park and the area remain throughout these changes
We are always looking for new information relating to Lund Park. If you have access to, or know someone who can access any info - Please email me. Your help will help us improve this site.